Friday, January 16, 2009

Staci and the horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad day

Next time you see my children alive and well, without bruises, without scars (emotional or physical) please acknowledge my restraint and bridled frustration. I found myself stopping, counting, breathing, praying, begging for patience, wisdom, love, and calmness more times today than usual. I also found myself correcting, advising, chastising, disciplining, intervening, refereeing, separating, vindicating, and preserving the two little ones every other second of this oh-so-long, never- ending, "when in the world is daddy coming home" kind of day. I didn't have the presence of mind or really any desire to grab the camera and capture on film the trials and tribulations of the day (though I give Liz total props for doing just that). Just next time you see "Super Nanny" or possibly the "Jerry Springer Show" just imagine in your head the faces of myself and my two cherubs superimposed on the bodies of the dysfunctional participants. That would more or less be the video at any given moment of our day. But..... praise God, it's 5:00. And by His grace, they, and I start fresh again tomorrow forgiven and free and hopefully with hearts that have learned a thing or two from today and its trials.

6 comments:

Scott, Heidi, and Marshall said...

i can totally sense your frustration in this post. however, one thing you left off your list of things you did today was....spank. sounds like that might have been thrown in there too. i find it hard to believe that those two precious cherubs gave their mommy a difficult day. not my nephews!

Liz said...

Amen sista! Join the club:) You KNOW you're not alone!!!! You survived and praise God for new days!

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard, because I could have written the blog! I was listening to a podcast where the speaker said about this time in our lives, "The days are long but the years are short." I want to bad to completely enjoy every second, but my impatience and nonrobotic children prevent that. Sorry it was long and hard.

emk said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your yucky day, Staci!! Hope it has only gotten better!! (BTW, I also hope it's okay that I added your blog to my links...and maybe talked about you a little bit on my post today!)

jj said...

hey - i found you through emily's blog. other than today, it's sounds like you guys are doing well. I also have 2 boys (19months apart), but about a year younger than yours (3 and 20 months). i have lots of similar days, and always look forward to and remember the days with less fighting and whining :) our blog is thejorgensenjournal.blogspot.com, and i have plans to be updating it very soon.

jessica mittelstaedt jorgensen

The Safrans said...

You survived....and so did the boys! If only barely, right?! :) Hope the weekend is turning out much better.