A couple weeks ago our neighborhood had its annual yard sale. We told Sam he could sell drinks and chips. He got his initial investors (mom and dad) and put in some 'sweat equity' (decorating the signs), and then he went to work. He was so cute. We started setting things out at about 5:00, and by 6:00 (before the sun was up) Sam was in the drive-way ready to be the little entrepreneur. He barely moved from beside his cooler until 10:30 that morning when I realized that he was running a fever of 102. He was not deterred, however. He would ask almost every person who came in the yard if they wanted to buy a cold drink. After a mandatory dose of Motrin he was back to business. By the end, he had about $20.00! Not bad for a four-year old and minimal start-up costs. He was too cute with his little shoe box holding the change. I wish I had thought to take a picture.
His experience with financial success opened up a door to talk about tithing and giving. Later that day we talked about what the Bible tells us about giving Jesus a portion of the money we earn. His first response was, "How do I get my money to Jesus?" Valid question for a little guy who still thinks pretty concretely. After explaining the concept of the offering at church he wasn't so sure it was a good idea. In fact, I think his exact words were, "I want to keep my money. I don't want to give any to Jesus." Super. How's that for cheerful giving? Well, within the next 8-12 hours he came around and was excited to put his envelope in the basket at church. I guess I feel like that sometimes too. I want to keep "my" money. I would rather buy new shoes than give above and beyond the bare minimal that is required of me. It was a good reminder on a smaller scale that it all belongs to Him anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment