Friday, October 9, 2009

There are more things on my to-do list than can be done by one person in a single day. There are things floating in my head that haven't yet made it to paper that I really do want to accomplish today. But, some things just may have to wait for another day, week, or possibly month. And that has to be OK. Because here is the bottom line... there are only so many hours in one day. My washing machine will only turn so fast. The leftover breakfast and lunch that made its way to the floor from little hands and mouths will be replaced at the next meal after I sweep it up now. The clerk at the grocery store does not measure my hurriedness as a national emergency, and I can check out only at her pace. My hands can fold clothes only so quickly, and my mind can process only so many questions, concerns, and queries in any given minute. The little ones in my home assume mommy is a multi-tasking machine, and while I hate to disappoint them, I just can't take care of everything at once. And fortunately, I don't have to.

There are days that seem so full, and yet at the end of the day, nothing tangible can be claimed. And that has to be OK too. I have to claim the moments of sweet teaching, the love bursts for and from the little people to whom I sometimes feel I am a servant in chains. Ten minutes of coloring and making play-dough snakes is time well spent when it makes my child feel like the precious gift of God that he is. I must treasure and measure the opportunities to guide and guard the little hearts and recognize the worth of those moments far outweighs much of the 'stuff' my list.

So my floor is not clean, but my children are fed. Praise Him. The laundry is dirty, but we have clothes on our backs. Hallelujah. The dust bunnies are gathering, but we have a home. Rejoice. The beds are not made, but we have a place to lay our head. It took forever at the grocery store, but He has provided plenty. Glory.

There are only so many hours in a day. My brilliant Father created this day with a set of waking hours. And then God in His sovereignty will turn us from the sun for a still, dark night of rest and respite. And when that still darkness comes, I too will be still and reflect on a day with ups and downs and highs and lows. And my floor in its crumbs and stickiness will testify that He has indeed, given us this day our daily bread. And my conscience, free and given grace, will remind me that He has forgiven my debts, as I give grace and free those who sin against me. And I will stand on the mercy that He has led me from the temptation of anger, impatience, guilt, selfishness, pettiness, and worry, so that I can claim His promise that no matter what I do or have done this day- right or wrong- that HIS is the kingdom and power and glory forever. Amen.

2 comments:

emk said...

So true! Thanks for sharing!

Shelley Roberts said...

VERY well written! Thanks for reminding me of perspective... I needed this today!