Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I'm Afraid of Facebook!

I don't usually rant, but for real! Enough with the Facebook already. I fear that Facebook is taking over America. OK OK I get it... you find people you haven't talked to in a long time. Super! You can have a gazillion "friends" and know who is eating pancakes for breakfast and who is still watching "Lost" and "Heroes." Cool! You can be sure your 90 year-old great grand-dad is still kickin' cuz- don't worry- he updated his profile just this morning. Fan- tas- tic! But do I really have to see Barack Obama's smiley face on the pop up next to my profile? Must I avoid clicking the flashing lights to get the free "I heart Obama- Biden" button just to get in touch with long lost friends? And truly, must some sexy, single, twenty-something waif of a woman smirk at me from the sidelines taunting my ever faithful husband to visit a dating website (free for the first visit and then a mere $19.99 a month)? I mean really- I just want to see where old friends live- are they married? kids? contact info? Another thing- I am thoroughly confused by the whole Facebook as a go-between. Let me be sure I have this right. I log into face book, look for friends. I find someone I want for a friend, and facebook contacts my would- be friend? Then that friend contacts facebook, and facebook adds me as their friend? Then facebook gets back to me to let me know my friend said they would be my friend and if said friend left a comment on my facebook wall? I, in turn, check in on my facebook friend to see what my friend said? Does that about cover this oh-so-simple social networking system? I'm befuddled! I thought I was doing alright jumping on the blogging bandwagon, and now, I learn to my dismay, that if I am not a regular facebook friend, I truly do not exist! But anyway, please don't give up on us "old- fashioned" blogging Prices. You just won't find too much of us on facebook, but we will do our best to keep regular updates on this blog.

OK- Rant officially over!

4 comments:

Shelley Roberts said...

Oh, come on! Logging into FB gives you that hope of the change for the change of the hope (if you know what I mean!) It's like high school all over again (because who wouldn't want to relive that???) Don't you want to "feel" popular and collect as many friends as you can? :-)

Erin said...

I'm with you. I got a facebook account just to see my brother's profile and got so many random messages from people I hadn't even talked to in 15 years and barely even knew then. With Matt's encouragement, I cancelled my account!

Kelli said...

But how will we be friends if you don't have a facebook account? hellohellohellohello!!!!! I'm so glad to find you guys here! yayayay! As soon as I have some time I'm going to catch up on the goings on at the Price household! Love you guys! And thanks for delurking!

Samantha Green said...

I loved this post Tom but I have to admit I totally love Facebook!